The Classic Spliff
The classic spliff is a joint or cigarette where you “split the difference” between tobacco and cannabis, filling it with half tobacco and half cannabis. Classic spliffs are very popular in Europe for a variety of reasons:
- Smoking spliffs makes expensive cannabis last longer which saves money.
- Spliffs can be more of a manageable or micro-dosed high, since there’s less cannabis than a joint of 100% cannabis.
- Adding tobacco helps spliffs to stay lit and smoke more uniformly (no more “canoeing”).
- Spliff smokers like the stimulant buzz they get from the nicotine in tobacco
- Including loose-leaf tobacco adds a control variable, if you will, to the rolling process which makes them easier to roll. Cannabis grind, texture, and stickiness are all variable which can make each rolling process unique, so adding tobacco can make rolling your own more consistent.
The Herbal Spliff
The herbal spliff is a joint where instead of “splitting the difference” between tobacco and cannabis, you’re splitting the difference with smokable herbs. Herbal spliffs have all the benefits of the classic spliff, plus some big advantages:
- You’re not smoking addictive tobacco. Many traditional spliff smokers become addicted to the nicotine in their spliffs.
- That tobacco smoke smell won’t stick to you and your clothes.
- Tobacco really dampens and masks the taste of your cannabis.
- Tobacco smoke is heavy and harsh, whereas certain smokable herbs can make for a lighter, more enjoyable experience.
- Adding smokable herbs to your cannabis is a way to naturally guide and target your high by enhancing desired effects and diminishing unwanted ones.
By adding smoking herbs to your cannabis, in addition to inhaling the cannabinoids, terpenes, and other compounds in your cannabis, you’re now getting the phytoconstituents of the herbs as well. This is a great way to naturally add desired terpenes to your smoke as well as counterbalance some of the negative “side” effects of cannabis like increased worry, tension, and dryness.
If you enjoy the stimulant buzz of nicotine in your spliffs but don’t want to smoke tobacco, try adding a mix of stimulating herbs like peppermint, found in our Stimulating herbal smoking blend, instead.
***For educational purposes only. This information has not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration. This information is not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease. Please consult a qualified healthcare practitioner before using any herbs, particularly if you are pregnant, nursing, or taking any medications.